Portrait Art Workshop - 4 WEEKS MAY £82 concessions £70
Portrait of Clare Art Workshop - Drawing and Oil Painting
Limited colour Palette with Walnut Oil and Alkyd Medium
Painting without solvents
Online with ZOOM
with Tutor: Penelope Rose Cowley
4 WEEKS Only £82
5th,12th,19th & 26th MAY 2021
2 hours Per Session
Wednesdays 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Arrive from 6:15pm for 15mins "Settle and Chat"
Subject - Learning to Draw and Paint Portraits
What to prepare before the Portrait course begins
Use earth oil colours, Burnt Sienna or Raw Umber with Walnut Alkyd Oil Medium which helps with the drying time. The aim is to achieve several earth-toned grounds on canvas in preparation for the weeks ahead.
Also Click here for the full materials list on the general Drawing and Painting with Oils course information page.
About the course.
Access to youtube videos of Hyperlasped Demos.
Free recording link sent to you the day after each session.
Colours you will need for the Portrait of Clare
Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow Pale Hue.
Raw Umber and/or Burnt Sienna (earth colours for imprimatura).
WEEK 1 'Live' Drawing with our Life Model Clare.
Beginning with a short tutorial on the basics of Portraiture and Chiaroscuro. This will be followed by drawing our Model Clare from Life for 90mins.
Clare will be posing for a variety of short studies ending in the same position for the painting study. The tutor will be drawing and talking through the process which each pose.
WEEK 2 Explore the Palette and Underpainting
Exploring Techniques with Oil paint - 'Limited Colour Pallette' Learning about Hues, Complementaries, Neutrals and creating Tints, Tones and Shades.
Followed by Under Painting with reference Photograph following the demonstration by Tutor.
WEEK 3 & 4 Painting the Portrait
Oil Painting the Portrait with reference Photograph following the demonstration by Tutor.
For participants with Windows or macOS, "Multi-View" is possible to allow 2 'Pinned' camera screens; a Model's camera and a Tutor's Demo camera.
For other systems, you'll be able to switch between the 2 cameras by going to the Gallery screen and 'double tap' to pin one of the cameras.
Or if you have two devices it is possible to set up a 2nd Zoom accounts, with a different email and pin a different camera on each device. This will be especially useful during demonstrations when the model is posing in WEEK 1.
Terms and conditions
During 'Live Sessions' with Models-
1. Do NOT take photographs, digital recordings, or screenshots. If you break this rule you will be asked to confirm deletion of images and to leave with no refund. It is imperative that we protect our respect models.
2. That, your Video Camera is always to remain ON.
a. For Portrait Sessions - these will be recorded and made available for purchase after the session to attendees only. If you wish not to be recorded, you may turn off your video.
3. Be polite and kind to Others, the Life Model, and Yourself.
4. Always refer to the Life Model by their Name.
5. All Artworks created are NOT to be of a defamatory nature.
6. Zoom Details are private - Do NOT share with others.
7. All Non-Participants are not allowed to attend (or visit) during the Life Drawing session, please respect the privacy of our models.
8. Please follow the Art Tutors instructions for referencing the Model along with your artwork on Social media, Websites, and Galleries. Life Models will have a preference on how they wish to be referred to, the Art Tutor will inform you before the session.
Working from a Photograph of Model
Online with Zoom
1. Do NOT take photographs, digital recordings, or screenshots. If you break this rule you will be asked to confirm deletion of images and to leave with no refund. It is imperative that we protect our respect models Image and the work of Art Tutors.
2. Sessions will be recorded and made available for purchase after the session to attendees only. If you wish not to be recorded, you may turn off your video.
3. Zoom Details are private, Do Not share with others.
4. Do NOT create artwork from the photograph in defamatory nature.
5. Please follow the Art Tutors instructions referencing the Model along with your artwork on Social media, Websites and Galleries. Models will have a preference on how they wish to be referred to, the Art Tutor will inform you before the session.
6. Whereby Photograph references are made available for purchase –
a. The photo is NOT to be used for in a defamatory manner or distributed, shared, seen publicly, or used for advertisements or in any other way. i.e Do NOT display photograph alongside your finished artwork.
b. The photograph reference is solely for the purposes of completing your artwork/s.
c. The Photograph will contain a ‘Watermark’ - Art Tutor’s Logo and/or Model’s Identification and/or photographer
7. Whereby Recordings are made of the online sessions-
a. Recordings are available as 'unlisted' youtube links, only viewble to participants of the class.
b. Please Do NOT share 'unlisted' youtube links with anyone.
Sale of Artworks – A donation to the model is welcomed and encouraged. If you wish to donate, please contact the Art Tutor via the contact page.