Drawing and Oil Painting Impasto Portrait from £70
Drawing and Oil Painting Impasto Portrait with Palette Knife
Limited Colour Palette with Walnut Oil and Alkyd Medium
Painting without solvents
Online with ZOOM
with Tutor: Penelope Rose Cowley
This Art Workshop is made up of 4 Sessions
Wednesdays 7pm - 9 pm
1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd September 2021
What to prepare before the Portrait course begins
Before the beginning of the Impasto Portrait you need to prepare GROUNDS (click here for video demo) on the canvas for the main portrait painting and for another surfaces such as canvas pad paper for practicing your colour mixing. Use earth oil colours, Burnt Sienna or Raw Umber with Walnut Alkyd Oil Medium which helps with the drying time. The aim is to achieve several earth-toned grounds on canvas one on panel or canvas stretcher and a few in the canvas pad in preparation for the weeks ahead.
Also Click here for the full materials list on the general Drawing and Painting with Oils course information page.
About the course.
Access to youtube videos of Hyperlasped Demos and referance images of the painting.
Free recording links sent to you the day after each session.
Colours you will need for the Impasto Portrait
Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow Pale Hue.
Raw Umber and/or Burnt Sienna (earth colours for imprimatura).
WEEK 1 'Live' Drawing with our Life Model
2nd hour - Exploring Raw Umber and/or Bunrt Sienna with Waltnut Alkyd Medium on prepared canvas paper with ground. Followed by Impasto Techniques with Oil paint with Palette Knife using the 'Limited Colour Palette'. Learning about Hues, Complementaries, Neutrals and creating Tints, Tones and Shades for skin tones.
WEEK 2 Explore the Palette and Underpainting
Underpainting from our Life Model Andrew live Online.
WEEK 3 & 4 Painting the Portrait
With the underpainting complete we will continue our portrait of Andrew using the reference Photograph with demostrations of each step by step.
Terms and conditions
During 'Live Sessions' with Models-
1. Do NOT take photographs, digital recordings, or screenshots. If you break this rule you will be asked to confirm deletion of images and to leave with no refund. It is imperative that we protect our respect models.
2. That, your Video Camera is always to remain ON.
a. For Portrait Sessions - these will be recorded and made available after the session to attendees only. If you wish not to be recorded, you may turn off your video.
3. Be polite and kind to Others, the Life Model, and Yourself.
4. Always refer to the Life Model by their Name.
5. All Artworks created are NOT to be of a defamatory nature.
6. Zoom Details are private - Do NOT share with others.
7. All Non-Participants are not allowed to attend (or visit) during the Life Drawing session, please respect the privacy of our models.
8. Please follow the Art Tutors instructions for referencing the Model along with your artwork on Social media, Websites, and Galleries. Life Models will have a preference on how they wish to be referred to, the Art Tutor will inform you before the session.
Working from a Photograph of Model
Online with Zoom
1. Do NOT take photographs, digital recordings, or screenshots. If you break this rule you will be asked to confirm deletion of images and to leave with no refund. It is imperative that we protect our respect models Image and the work of Art Tutors.
2. Sessions will be recorded and made available for purchase after the session to attendees only. If you wish not to be recorded, you may turn off your video.
3. Zoom Details are private, Do Not share with others.
4. Do NOT create artwork from the photograph in defamatory nature.
5. Please follow the Art Tutors instructions referencing the Model along with your artwork on Social media, Websites and Galleries. Models will have a preference on how they wish to be referred to, the Art Tutor will inform you before the session.
6. Whereby Photograph references are made available for purchase –
a. The photo is NOT to be used for in a defamatory manner or distributed, shared, seen publicly, or used for advertisements or in any other way. i.e Do NOT display photograph alongside your finished artwork.
b. The photograph reference is solely for the purposes of completing your artwork/s.
c. The Photograph will contain a ‘Watermark’ - Art Tutor’s Logo and/or Model’s Identification and/or photographer
7. Whereby Recordings are made of the online sessions-
a. Recordings are available as 'unlisted' youtube links, only viewble to participants of the class.
b. Please Do NOT share 'unlisted' youtube links with anyone.
Sale of Artworks – A donation to the model is welcomed and encouraged. If you wish to donate, please contact the Art Tutor via the contact page.